Sunday, November 1, 2009

The End of the Easter Egg Plant

My Easter Egg Plant is an annual, and has reached the end of its run.
Here are some pictures of what it looks like now ..

Bud
Before you get the egg, you get a little purple flower. This picture is from earlier this summer, when the leaves were nice and green.



Eggs
The Easter Egg Plant is really just an eggplant, that produces small white fruit instead of the long, purple, fruit we are used to seeing. I was told that these little white fruit are not edible; however, a guy at our local nursery said that they are eaten in Vietnam. The nursery had the same plant except it grew pumpkin-shaped fruit. It was adorable!



As the egg ages, it turns a greenish-gold color. This picture is from September and the leaves have started to die.



Golden Eggs
Finally, the eggs turn dark gold. These eggs are a couple of months old.





Finally, you can see that all the leaves have died, and turned moldy. I'll take a couple of the "eggs" and save some seeds for next season. This plant was a lot of fun, and easy to grow.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

wow I didn't realize it got so MANY eggs! That is really neat plant, I have never seen it before.

Denise Rosier said...

Thanks, Kris. I think it's pretty neat, too. I think I'll grow another one next year, too.

Cheryl said...

I'm definitely going to try and find one next spring, it is such a charming plant :)

Denise Rosier said...

Cheryl, I'll send you & Kris some seeds in the Spring. I think I may still have Kris' address, (if that's OK with you, Kris..)

Cheryl said...

I'd love that, thank you :)