Monday, April 7, 2008

This weekend's plants

Lotus Maculatus



I couldn't resist this plant - it's so freaky!
When you look it, it feels like you can't really zero in on exactly what the flowers look like. Don't worry, it's like that in real life, too. Not only that, but for whatever reason, Whiskers loves to attack it.


Snowball Tree




Madeleine bought some lady bugs and set them free in one, giant, 1500-bug, pile .. This little guy managed to find his own place.

To me, this plant looks like a hydrangea, but it feels very delicate. The nursery had a big one, which was gorgeous with white snowballs all over it. I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought it. I don't know how fast these trees grow. Hopefully, it's a fast-grower..

Brazilian Fireworks (Maracas)
Another shade dweller. I love the flowers!

12 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey you have a very nice garden, I thought that plant was a hydrangea too. Is that a Robin bird in your pictures? Looks like it but bigger. I don't think I have ever seen any of the plants/flowers you have.

Cheryl said...

That Lotus plant reminds me of a pot of crawdaddy jumbalaya! What a unique specimen. Your hydrangea looks like a lace cap variety. I have 2 hydrangea, and they have been slow growing, but I only planted them 2 years ago, sometimes it takes a while for a shrub to get his feet settled so to speak. I wonder if you can affect the color of your hydrangea with the acidity of the soil. Supposedly you can turn some hydrangea blue by adding used coffee grounds to the dirt to raise the acidity level. I don't know if that applies to all types though. I'm still in the pre~daffodil blooming stage..:(

Cheryl said...

P.S. I've seen your white plant (from your garden set) called a licorice plant.

Cheryl said...

P.S.S. Love the Brass Monkey!!! :)

Kristen said...

Oh you are right about Licorice plant, I couldn't think of it and I have heard the blue in hydrangea does change by what you put in the soil too

Denise Rosier said...

Good morning!

I think my post was a little confusing.. that snowball tree is not a hydrangea. It just looks like one. In fact, I thought maybe "snowball" was another name for the maple leaf hydrangea, but it wasn't that either. The snowball is a "Viburnum opulus Roseum". It gets to be 12 feet tall, and likes full sun. You can see a full grown one >>here<<

I have a bed of hydrangeas in my front yard. Some are blue and some are pink. You're right, out here, we can buy "bluing formula", which is raises acidity of the soil. However, I bought a couple of blue ones 5 years ago, and they have stayed blue without my intervention.

Our local Starbucks gives away bags of coffee grounds. Does that work? I've always wondered..

Ahh .. Licorice plant! Thank you!

Denise Rosier said...

hmm .. I don't know why my link didn't work. I'll take a picture of it next month, when the snowballs turn white..

Cheryl said...

Just curious, are your pink & blue hydrangea next to each other? That's interesting if so, such a swing in soil ph from one spot to the other. Maybe I'd do better at recognizing hydrangea if my two wee scragglers would actually start growing :P oh well, maybe this will be the year. Hope springs eternal in a garden!

Denise Rosier said...

RE: Is that a Robin bird in your pictures?

Kristen, I don't know what kind of bird "Orange Belly" is. We were wondering the same thing.

Denise Rosier said...

RE: are your pink & blue hydrangea next to each other ..

Yes. In fact, now that you mention it.. I have one hydrangea whose "ball" of flowers is mixed blue and pink.

I wonder if that one was a blue hydrangea that I planted between a blue and a pink? I'll have to pay attention.

They are just now leafing, so it'll be a couple of months.

Kristen said...

Denise I put a Robin on my blog, sort of the same, we have LOTs of them here, they scurry on the ground picking worms out of the lawn in the spring. It's kind of how us New Englanders know spring is here whent he Robin's come back
I didn't know if you had them in CA too.

Denise Rosier said...

Hi Kristen,

I looked it up, and it appears our bird is an "American Robin".

I always love to see the birds on your site. You and Cheryl live in paradise!