Saturday, January 2, 2010

Rose Parade in Pasadena

This morning, Madeleine and I took off to Pasadena to view the floats from yesterday's Tournament of Roses Parade. For two days after the parade, the public can walk among the floats and see them up close.

I read that attendence can be as many as 150,000 people, so Madeleine and I arrived at 8:30AM, when it opened. It was a good thing because by the time we left, at 10:30, it was packed.

Interestingly, it didn't smell like flowers. I expected all of Pasadena to smell like a florist's shop but it didn't at all. It was very pretty, though ..



Everything on the float may only be covered in flowers, seeds, bark, or other plant material.




Sledding Bullies

Cheryl, we took these for you. One float featured bulldogs sledding to the song "Who let the dogs out". They were transported back up the hill in specially made carts, decorated in seeds and flowers.






Honda does a float every year. When I worked for them, they'd invite employees to sign up to decorate. (If memory serves me correctly, I believe decorating was round the clock.)



Cheryl and Kris, I can totally imagine you two working on one of these floats. I bet you'd really enjoy it.







6 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey that is really neat, I always wanted to see those floats up close and personal and go to a parade, I always watched them on TV when I was a kid but now I don't watch any more, no one wants to do that with me :( Thanks for showing us all the floats, the dog sled one is really neat, those dogs sure do have a personality and talent!

Happy New year!!!

Cheryl said...

Wow!! Love the pictures :) I would love to work on one of the floats, what a great job! Amazing what they do with petals and seeds.

The sledding bullies made me laugh, and now I'm thinking of trying to teach Tank to do that ~ that would be so funny. We have a really good hill nearby that I could attempt it...although do you think the people driving by would think I'm nutty? A 40 something year old lady sledding down the hill with her bulldog!! Ha! Just for the looks I think I will try it :)

I was sad to hear about your pond, maybe if you just leave it unpopulated for awhile the raccoon will move on. Even without fish it would still add such a lovely note to your garden. Another thing you can try is to make it deeper, so the fish can retreat away from the coon. You could also spread netting over it every evening, but that sure would be a pain in the tush.

Priscilla said...

Wow, those floats are amazing. I especially liked the schooner and the pig.

Denise Rosier said...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the pictures!

Cheryl, you should totally try sledding with Tank, and let us know how it goes!

The float also featured a little Bully pup. He was so cute! He kept falling off his little sled about half way down, but the crowd loved him. :o)

Biddie said...

How wonderful that the public can visit the floats like this after parade day !!!

I lived in New Orleans as a child and thoroughly enjoyed the Mardi Gras parades - especially the nigthtime ones with the men carrying flambeaus along side the floats so that the floats would be lit up - I don't know if they still do this - it was rather much a fire-hazard .....

Denise Rosier said...

I'd really like to experience Mardi Gras sometime!