
Monarda
The bee balm has filled in. I'm definitely planting more of these next year. They were hard to start, though. I started about 12 of them indoors in peat pellets. Only about 6 sprouted and only 2 survived as opposed to a 100% success rate with the daliahs, and the zinnias.

Coneflower "White Swan"

Crossvine
Madeleine and I painted this bird house last year, but no birds ever made it their home.

Hosta

Pumpkin

Hebe "Wiri Blush"

Garden on the other side of the yard.
This garden will be widening, and expanding in the fall.

Front Yard
This is a little, kidney shaped, garden. The two trees: Flowering Plum (left), Carribean Copper Plant (right). Further to the right is purple Fountain Grass. I can't plant anything in the pot on the fence to the right because Whiskers naps in there. It is half filled with potting soil, so you can see her eyes and ears at the rim when she curls up inside.

Growing inside the Kidney Garden
Cupid's Dart Flower

Cupid's Dart Bud

Rudbeckia hirta 'Spotlight'
These only grow to 8" tall.
7 comments:
Hey that all looks awesome, I have rudbeckia (oops on the spelling) I got two this year from that catalog, different from yours
Is that last picture the outside of your yard or the inside? Do you know what i mean? you have really expanded your gardens and added a lot of new and fun stuff, we don't have the same things but sometimes we do
Good Morning! I got a chuckle out of Whisker's spot - a great lookout, for sure!
The cupid's dart flower is beautiful - such delicate translucent shades of purple - but I may be prejudiced here 'cause I'm a sucker for purple!
Seeing your back-lit sunflower reminded me of a spectacular sight that I was fortunate to see a couple of years ago while driving a backroad to Dothan, AL. A farmer had planted a massive field (easily 20 acres) of nothing but sunflowers - maybe he is a supplier of sunflower seeds for the birds. But anyway, the terrain was such that at one point, the road was higher than the field and I could see out over this huge spread of yellow. Then the road dipped down so that it was lower than the field. The sun was behind the sunflowers that grew right along the road and it looked like a back-lit stained glass window or some kind of spotlight treatment for a stage setting - really beautiful scene.
Hi Kris, that last picture is the front of my house by the driveway.
Hi Biddie, thanks for sharing your story about the sunflowers. I'll bet that was really pretty to see!
My experience with Beebalm is once you get them established, they will take off. The purple I have is almost invasive, while the red variety has done much better since I cleared away all the phlox that was crowding it.
My purple type isn't the same as yours, but it must be somewhat related?
Is that Trumpet Vine beneath your birdhouse? I have a wee little sprig of it growing on a fence here, hasn't done much yet but I'll wait and see.
I loved the comment about Whiskers, that's what makes a garden so special ~ how each individual garden grows around our own lives and the loved ones in it. How each plant and turn in the path can remind you of someone or something special in your life...beautiful isn't it? :)
Hi Cheryl,
I'm encouraged to hear that the bee balm will take off so well!! I really love that flower. Do you happen to know why it's called bee "balm"? Do people use it for medicinal purposes? (I suppose I can look it up) ..
That vine beneath the birdhouse is called a "Crossvine". I understand that it will become quite invasive, if not tamed. I cut it waaaayyy back in the fall.
You're right about the garden .. I love how my family enjoys it, and how Whiskers has her hiding places. I look forward to getting the koi back in there. I wish the raccoon could behave and join in our "garden crew" :o)
... popping in to say "howdy" ... HOWDY !!!
Good Morning!! Just popping in to say Hi!!!
Post a Comment