
I plopped a few seeds in each expanded pellet, set them in a plastic dish, enclosed the dish in a plastic gallon baggie, and put the whole thing on top of my refrigerator.
In about 5 days, little seedlings started to emerge.

After 2 weeks, or so, they were ready to transplant. I purchased peat pots since I will be able to plant the entire pot into the ground, when they're ready..

Zinnia "Green Envy"

Cupid's Dart

I've started quite a few different seeds, and they all look good so far. The first group is outside "hardening off" now. Since our climate is relatively mild, this isn't much of a challenge for them. I also tried the peat pellets outdoors. That worked, too. I planted Dahlia seeds, and they popped right up. It depends on the seeds. I had to start "Cupid's Dart" and "Easter Egg Plant" inside because they needed warmer temperatures to germinate.
What do I think so far? ..
I like the instant gratification of starting seeds inside. I am not very patient, when it comes to planting seeds outside, and waiting weeks to see any signs of life. Using the pellets, I only have to wait a few days to see any results. However, tending to all the little seedlings is sort of a pain. Put them outside .. bring them back in .. repeat..
We'll see how it goes after they're all in the ground.
So far, it's pretty neato :o)
9 comments:
Ah HA now you can see what a pain it is but how fun when you will see your own growing outside!!! I think I will try those pots next time, I did get peat pots but also soil that I had to put in, your way looks easier!
I'm up in the air as to whether I'll do it again next year. If I had to deal with a warmer, and a light, I would probably not do it.
On the other hand, it feels good to see the life that comes from those little seeds. The test will be in how they fair in the ground. If they all poop out and die, I'll be bummed.
Wow, great job!! I've never had much luck with seedlings, they either succumb to fungus infections or get too leggy then wither off.
You've inspired me to maybe attempt again :)
My friend George the farmer called me this morning and I asked if I could put two trays in his greenhouse and he said yes of course!!! I am so excited to see how they will grow in there, it's huge and warm, actually it's pretty hot in there in the summer, I don't know how he can stand it, but any how, in 3 weeks he said I can bring them over, I'll take pictures!
Kris, I look forward to hearing how your seeds do. Your seedling pics from last year are what inspired me to try seeds this year. What are you going to plant?
Cheryl, I know what you mean about honeysuckle. Don't they smell great? You may not be able to finnd a fragrant honeysuckle in CT, but at least you can grow lupines! We can't.. It's depressing. I love those flowers.
I was thinking of the masses of bluebonnets I remember from Texas and that maybe they would work for you, but I did some research and found out they don't do well in clay based soils.
Maybe if you create a raised bed full of amended soil you could grow them?
They are beautiful, and relatively long lasting. I always have to be diligent about aphids though, they love them.
I wanted to grow bluebonnets. I saw some seeds at Lowe's, but I think they are only hardy to Zone 8. (I could be wrong).
It's the same with lupines. They sell the seeds here in SoCal. They germinate, but they don't grow. They also don't die. They just stay about an inch tall. I don't know what the deal is. I found a lupine plant that is supposedly able to grow in Southern Cal, but it looks like it has stalled.
You might be on to something regarding the clay soil.
In years past, I tried seeds in those peat pellets - with all the pressures of my job, I never seemed to take good enough care of them - then I was left feeling so guilty about their demise ....
There were actually some blue bonnets that grew in my yard in TX - I didn't put them there - I assumed that birds somehow dropped the seeds - but I loved seeing them bloom each year - tough plants.
P.S. I love your chronicle of the seeds - hope that they are still progressing.
Post a Comment