Saturday, November 22, 2008

What's going on now ..

Here's what's going on in my garden these days. Most of my summer plants are gone for the year, but a few are still hanging in there. I planted bulbs for the first time. Some are starting to pop up.

Paperwhite Narcissus
I planted these about 3 weeks ago.



Coneflowers
These are still blooming, though, they they only get about 4 inches tall.





The Garden On The Right
What a difference a couple of months makes! In the summer, there was very little walking space in this corner.



The little clump of sticks at the bottom right is one of two Cleomes.



Crossvine, Yellow Abutilon, and Blackeyed Susan Vine
The heat has confused them into thinking they should bloom.





The Garden to the Left
The Passion Vine loves growing on the gazebo. Its been growing and blooming like crazy. You can't see it, but some of the vines have almost reached the top, center, of the structure. I am keeping the vine thin so people will be able see through the gazebo to the garden behind it.




Butterfly Bush
He will stay like this throughout the winter. My Mom has cut hers back to the ground, but I like mine like this. He's grown into a graceful little tree.



The Magnolia is losing its leaves now. I got him from my Mom in the Spring. I can't wait to see him bloom next year! Muscari bulbs are planted by the frog.



Red Hibiscus
This shrub is one of my favorites and is FULL of buds. Hard to believe it will look like a dead stick in a couple of months.



Succulent bloom

5 comments:

Kristen said...

NO WAY!!!!!!!! it's freezing here, I had to wear gloves out today shopping!! my hair, static. I have major static electricity, winter is just a major problem with my hair, I brush it and it looks like I put my fingers in a socket!!

So you have quite the garden still, ours, gone!!
What is the coldest it will get where you live?

Denise Rosier said...

It's been really hot here this fall, although, it is supposed to rain this week. I know it gets down into the 30's at night in the winter, but I don't think it gets any colder than that.

I hope it cools down a lot more by Christmas. It doesn't feel right wearing shorts on Christmas morning!

Biddie said...

Good Morning! I wanted to thank you for adding my name to Madeleine's visitor list - I've enjoyed seeing her comments on Cheryl's and Kristen's blogs - she is quite a bundle of energy, for sure!

You still have an amazing variety of plants blooming in your garden for this time of the year. Even tho' I'm in climate zone 8, the forest does shut down for the winter - the only thin that is still growing are the plants that I bring inside - I'd sure love to have a green house someday so that I wouldn't have to keep cutting the vines back every Fall so that i can get them into the house.

Did any of those terrible forest fires threaten your area?

Denise Rosier said...

Hi Biddie,

Thank you for visiting Madeleine's blog, and for your nice comments to her. She loves to get visitors, and is becoming quite the little blogger.

I think the weather you are having is more in line with the way it should be. Our zone is unusually warm this year.

Cheryl said...

Wow, beautiful Denise! The red hibiscus ~ the foliage looks to be as intense as the blooms.

I've never known quite what to do with my butterfly bushes...cut 'em down in fall, leave 'em until spring? I've finally settled upon leaving some of them intact and some that look already dessicated I prune in fall.

I have quite a few scattered around my gardens, and it seems totally arbitrary as to how each one thrives or not...within feet of each other one grows well, the other not so good. I guess that's what keeps gardening interesting. We'll see next spring...