Here is what is happening in my backyard this month ..
Princess Flower

Ginger Lily


Sunday morning buds on the red Passion Vine



Varigated hydrangia leaves

Lantana

Cape Plumbago
I love this shrub, but it is out of control. Every year, I cut it back to about 2' by 2', and it grows back like crazy. Right now, it's about 8 feet tall and 6 feet wide. I may remove it. I love the blue flowers, but the maintenance is crazy.



Watermelon Vine
We didn't plant a watermelon seed, but one made its way into the planter anyway. Here it is crowding my gardenia. We haven't removed it as we are curious to see what happens. How big will it get? Will we see any melons?

Looks like we've got a baby coming..

Madeleine's "Hippo Plant"
This little succulent is supposed to produce a flower out of the little "bubble".


5 comments:
That plumbago is gorgeous!! How long does it stay in bloom? That's amazing how quickly it grows.
Your garden is such a treat for me, every time you put pictures up they always contain exotic treasures I've never seen before. The Ginger Lily is beautiful, I've never seen anything like it.
I love the hippo plant, please post a picture when it blooms, how unusual! Funny about your watermelon...I have 5 sunflowers growing about my yard that I didn't plant either, I love those types of surprises.
I hope the rest of your songs come quickly for you :)
You have such cool flowers there and the season seems to last much longer than ours for sure! I can't wait to see what that hippo plant does too. Hey cheryl I have wild sunflowers growing around the yard too, must be from seeds dropped by the birds!!
Hello!
I'm looking forward to watching the hippo plant bloom, too. I wish I knew it's name - I'd post some details.
I am still learning about the various areas of my yard.
For example, Cheryl, your coneflowers are to die for. Mine are struggling in full sun. Their leaves get black and yucky, and they don't produce any new blooms. I don't think they like the clay.
In a couple of months, I think I will relocate them to a less intense environment.
Hmmm, most of the coneflowers in my yard get a little bit of shade, the ones that do best get the most direct sun. Of course our climate isn't as intense as yours with heat & sunshine. Maybe if you "lighten" up the soil, sounds like maybe in the clay the roots are sitting in too much moisture? I rarely have to water mine, but they will droop down in intense heat, sounds like you are correct in that they'd do better in more shade.
So your dirt is heavy with clay? Your other plants sure seem to thrive where they are planted, that's really interesting. Do you have to supplement the soil?
I know, it's odd.. My soil is pretty heavy clay in some spots. When it gets dry and hot, it's like cement. However, some plants don't seem to mind it at all. I understood that coneflowers are not fussy, but I guess even they draw the line somewhere.
hmmm .. Maybe I'll blog my garden casualities: What worked this season, and what didn't.
Post a Comment